Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Thanksgiving & Baptisim Weekend

This Thanksgiving weekend was a whirlwind of activity. We spent Thanksgiving Day with my family: Parents, my sister Jennifer, her husband Stephen, and their children: Ethan, Isabelle, and Elijah, and my sister Erin. Mom cooked, we ate, and played chardes with the kids. We are probably the only family where chardes can turn into a wild and crazy game. Luke managed to sleep through the entire thing, which was amazing considering the volume level.

Saturday night we spent with John's family: Parents, brother Michael, and sister Sarah who flew in from LA Thanksgivign night. Luke was really good, and everyone got to hold him and spend time with th enew edition to the family.

Sunday, we had Luke's Baptism. I don;t know what I was expecting, but I know I was not expecting to be so moved by the service. When Rev. Highes presented Luke to the congregation and referenced John and I as his parents, it seemed so amazing. It was our first public moment as our own little family, and it was really special. I don;t think there was a dry eye in the crowd. John's brother Michael and my sister Erin stood up with us as Godparents to Luke, even though the Presbyterians don't typically recognize the tradition.

Afterward, we went back to our house and had a really lovely gathering with both families. John's Aunt and Uncle came from Kentucky, and it was a really nice time. I am so glad we did it. Luke was perfect. Right on schedule, he slept through church, but he was awake and ready for the pictures and the party after.

No comments:

Post a Comment